- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 package Love Beets organic cooked beets
- 3½ cups plain flour, plus extra for kneading
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds for seasoning
- Topping Suggestions: Cream cheese and berries Sliced avocado, micro greens, crushed red pepper flakes, and sea salt Peanut butter and sliced banana with honey and poppy seeds Sliced tomatoes over hummus with micro greens
- In a small bowl, pour in a ½ cup of the warm water and sprinkle over the yeast and drizzle in the honey, without stirring. Let sit for 5 minutes, and then stir to dissolve.
- Add the remaining warm water and the beets to a blender and blend on high into a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Pour in the yeast and honey mixture and half of the beet puree. Mix and stir while adding the remaining beet puree until evenly incorporated and the dough comes together.
- On a floured countertop, knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic, working in as much flour as possible to form a firm dough.
- Lightly coat a large bowl with oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour until the dough has doubled in size. Punch the dough down, and let rise for another 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape into rounds, moving the dough balls in a circular motion against a work surface until a clean surface over the dough forms. Gently press your finger into the center of each round to form a ring. Stretch the ring to about 1/3 the diameter of the bagel and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining rounds and cover with a damp kitchen towel to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220 degrees celcius
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and then reduce the heat. Use a slotted spoon to lower the bagels into the water. Boiling up to three bagels at a time, flipping them over halfway to boil on each side for up to 2 minutes on each side.
- Top the bagels with a mixture of the ingredients in the everything seasoning blend or your preferred toppings such as poppy seeds, sesame seeds, minced fresh garlic, or flaky salt. Or if not topping them immediately, brush the boiled bagels with an egg white wash to ensure the toppings stick. Transfer the bagels to a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack and serve with some of combinations above or your own variation.