- 250g dark chocolate
- 100g butter
- 250g love beets
- 3 eggs
- 250g light brown sugar
- 150g almond meal
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 200C, Prepare a 23cm square baking tin by greasing all over with a little butter. Line with strip of baking paper leaving two 'tails' at either side to help you lift the cooked brownies out of the tin.
- Break up the chocolate into a heatproof bowl along with the butter. Set over a pan of barely simmering water and allow the chocolate to gently melt, stirring to mix together as it melts.
- Pour the beets into a food processor and process into a puree, pausing the motor to scrape down the sides if necessary. Add the melted chocolate butter, vanilla and eggs to food processor and blend together. Again scrape down the sides if needed. Then add the sugar, almond meal, cocoa, baking powder, and optional chili powder and process until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour into the prepared baking tin and bake for about 30-35 minutes until the top is set and the brownie is starting to pull a little away from the sides. A skewer inserted into the center will come out fairly clean but feel a touch sticky - don't worry if it seems a little soft as it will firm on the cooling rack. Remove from the oven, place on a cooling rack and allow to go cold in tin.
- Using the paper tails, ease the brownie from the tin and cut into squares. Dust the surface with a little icing sugar.